[3dem] Graphene oxide!

Christian Geiss Geiss at biophysik.org
Thu Apr 18 15:37:14 PDT 2013

Dear 3dem members,

I would like to hydrophilize grids with graphene oxide. Does anyone has experience with it? To be more informative,
I am interested what proportion of oxygen gives empirically the most hydrophility and is still adequate in handling. Of course,
hydrophility appears to follow the thumb rule: the more oxygen, the better.

But since there are many companies that offer a broad product range for graphene oxide with lots of different quality specifications, I was wondering a bit,
if it is really necessary to take the product that promises the highest oxygen moiety. For instance, the oxygen ranges between 20 up to 50%
(all are using the hammers method for oxidation of graphene), but most offer 20%. And of course, according to the producer, it is all soluble in water
(but I also heard that it partially can clump out in water, dependent on the level of oxygen and how large is the fraction that has been oxidized).

So what do you think? Can you recommend any supplier?

Any input here would be highly appreciated,

Christian Geiss

--

Christian Geiss, M.sc.
Universitaet Frankfurt BMLS