[3dem] prepare Formvar Grids

Cristina Berciu cberciu at brandeis.edu
Thu Sep 27 14:36:32 PDT 2012

Hi,
I used Formvar film but a lower concentration (0.25% in ethylene
dichloride) and it works always I use it. Definitely it will work for your
higher concentration.

I clean the glass slides with only acetone (99. %) and I clean them only
with optical lens tissue, to prevent anything leftover on the glass slide.
Usually I pour a little acetone on the glass and clean it with the tissues.
I do it twice, and i keep cleaning with the tissues till I feel that the
tissue slides easily on the surface of the glass. I leave the clean glass
slide for ~2 minutes, to be sure it is completely dry, then I dip it (along
it s length) in the jar with Formvar solution. Immediately I lift it up and
I touch the lower edge to a stack of 5-6 kimwipes on top of each other. You
can notice how the kimwipes suck the extra solution. Then move it in a
different spot and another one, and keep the slide for a few seconds on
each one, till you notice that NO wet mark on the kimwipes is left. Then
lean the glss slide  against something for a couple of minutes. Then cut
with the razor blade the Formvar on one side of the glass slide (bottom,
up, and sides) and dip the glassslide in the dd H2O in an angle of 45
degrees, slowly. It comes very nicely.

Good luck!

Cristina