[3dem] prepare Formvar Grids

Cindi Schwartz cindi.schwartz at Colorado.EDU
Thu Sep 27 14:18:23 PDT 2012

Denis,

We make a slightly different formula of formvar (0.7% in ethylene dichloride), but I doubt that's your issue. We sometimes literally get a bad box of glass slides. When we switch boxes, it works great and in some boxes, every slide sucks. We use the VWR brand frosted microscope slides--nothing fancy.

Otherwise, your protocol is similar to ours. We generally don't touch the slide to the side of the coplin jar, but we put our slide after being dipped into a "chamber" of a petri dish bottom with a filter paper in it and a small beaker. We lean the slide onto this beaker so that the part with formvar is not touching the beaker and then cover that with a large beaker. We let it sit in this chamber for a few minutes, then score and float off the formvar film.

I'm betting you just have a random junk box (or lot) of glass slides.

Cindi

On Sep 27, 2012, at 2:30 PM, Denis Chaix wrote:

> Hello
> We have actualy some troubles to prepare Formvar films.
> In fact it's impossible to release the film from the glass slide.
> Here you can find our protocol
>
> Formvar solution. 0,4% in chloroform .
> Pour the solution into a clean Coplin jar
> Dip pre-cleaned slides ( rub thoroughly with Kimwipes) into beaker.
> Drain corner on side of beaker.
> Blot edge of slide on filter paper.
> Score the edges of the Formvar film with an acetone-cleaned razor blade.
> Breathe over the length of the slide to loosen the film.
> Float the film off onto a clean water surface by slowly immersing the slide into the water at a 45° angle.
>

> Have you some tricks or tips to improve this protocol and help the release of the film ?
> For example, have you some ideas like special brand of slides, or a way to clean the slides.
>
> Thanks
>

> Denis
> --
> --