[3dem] Twelve faculty positions at the Research Institute of the Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto

John Rubinstein, U of T john.rubinstein at utoronto.ca
Fri Sep 21 11:05:07 PDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

The Research Institute of the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto
plans to recruit up to twelve faculty members to coincide with the
opening of our new Centre for Research and Learning
(http://www.sickkidsfoundation.com/bepartofit/).

Information about all of the positions is available at:
http://www.sickkids.ca/Research/Nature-Magazine-Ad/index.html
I have placed the ad for the two Molecular Structure and Function
positions in my public dropbox folder:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5163874/MSFrecruitment.pdf

The positions are in the seven research programs of the Institute:
Cell Biology
Child Health and Evaluative Sciences
Developmental and Stem Cell Biology
Genetics and Genome Biology
Molecular Structure and Function
Neurosciences and Mental Health
Physiology and Experimental Medicine

For candidates who will propose research involving three dimensional
electron microscopy, please note the following:
1) The Research Institute has a policy to recruit on "excellence not
expertise".  Therefore, even if your proposed research does not have
obvious connections to pediatric health, please still apply.  The
strategy is that by working in the environment of the Institute, your
research program will expand or evolve into one that is well-aligned
with the Institute's mission.  I believe this policy shows enlightened
leadership.
2) Your proposal may fit two or more of the advertised positions (e.g.
Molecular Structure and Function and Cell Biology).  If so, please
submit a separate application for each positions and note in each
application that you are applying to multiple positions at the Research
Institute.
3) The Research Institute currently has a FEI TF20 electron microscope
to which we will soon add a direct detector device.  The institute also
has a 50 % share (although already heavily used) in an FEI T20 with a
small Gatan GIF at our Advanced Bioimaging Centre
(http://www.sickkids.ca/Research/Advanced-Bioimaging-Centre/index.html)
and several lower voltage TEMs and SEMs that are available to
researchers.  Money for additional instrumentation may be negotiated as
part of a start-up package.
4) The Research Institute is one of several Canadian Institutions that
have partnered for a proposed Canadian Centre for High-throughput
Cryo-EM.  Should this proposal be funded, the centre will be based
within the existing Canadian Centre for Electron Microscopy
(http://ccem.mcmaster.ca/) at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario
and led by Joaquin Ortega at McMaster University.

Best wishes,
John

--
John Rubinstein
Molecular Structure and Function Program