[3dem] relion-1.1

Sjors Scheres scheres at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 24 09:11:28 PDT 2012

Dear colleagues,

We have now released version 1.1 of our single-particle refinement
program RELION. RELION employs a Bayesian approach to infer model
parameters from the data, so that objective and high-quality
reconstructions are obtained with minimal user intervention.

Besides the existing 2D and 3D classification tools in version 1.0, the
new version also implements convenient preprocessing procedures and a
fully automated refinement procedure (termed 3D auto-refine) for
structurally homogeneous data sets. The latter employs "gold-standard"
FSC calculations, which we have recently shown to be effective for the
prevention of overfitting without loss of reconstruction quality
(http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nmeth.2115). Implementation details and
illustrative refinement results are also described in a more technical
paper (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jsb.2012.09.006).

You may download RELION for free from
http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/relion. I hope it will (continue to) be of
use in your research.

Best regards,
Sjors

PS: A special thanks to all those involved in beta-testing. Please
re-install this release if you have previously worked with a pre-release
version.

--
Sjors Scheres
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology