[3dem] PostDoc Vacany

Luther, Pradeep K p.luther at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jan 13 05:26:48 PST 2012

Dear 3D-EM Members,

We are looking for a highly motivated structural biologist to join our research group studying the fine structure of myosin binding protein C in cardiac muscle and how it is affected by mutations. The sample preparation will involve rapid freezing/freeze substitution for thin section electron microscopy.  Electron tomography and sub-volume averaging will be used to determine the mean structures, essentially following the procedures in our recent paper (Luther et al, 2011, PNAS, 108:11423).  Myosin binding protein C (MyBP-C) is a modular 135 kD protein in striated muscle located at regular intervals along each myosin filament and interacts with actin filaments and myosin S2.  There is great interest in the cardiac isoform as mutations in the corresponding gene lead to heart disease, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy characterised by thickened heart walls.
The post is funded for 5 years starting from February 2012 by a British Heart Foundation award.  Applicants should have a PhD in a Biological or Physical Science subject and should be highly numerate.  Experience in electron microscopy and electron tomography of sectioned biological samples and computing with linux is highly desirable
The project offers the opportunity to work within a well-funded, world class 5* (RAE) department based at Imperial's South Kensington Campus.   The electron microscopes to be used for this project include a 200 KV FEI FEG em.
For additional details please contact Dr. Pradeep Luther (p.luther at imperial.ac.uk<mailto:p.luther at imperial.ac.uk>).  For general details of our research, see our web pages www.sarcomere.org<http://www.sarcomere.org/>  and http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/molecular/et/.
Application form and further details will be available shortly at http://www.imperial.ac.uk/employment/research.

Pradeep K. Luther
Molecular Medicine Section
National Heart & Lung Institute
Faculty of Medicine
Sir Alexander Fleming Building
Imperial College London
Exhibition Road
London SW7 2AZ

Tel: +44(0)20 7594 3239    Fax: +44(0)20 7594 3119
E: p.luther at imperial.ac.uk   W: www.sarcomere.org<http://www.sarcomere.org>
http://www.big-heart.eu/