[3dem] Scientific Operators for NeCEN (KRIOS TEMs)

Marin van Heel m.vanheel at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Feb 24 10:56:59 PST 2012

*Dear Colleagues, I would like to draw your attention to the following
job openings:

       TWO  or THREE  full time TEM Scientific Operators (38 hours per
week)*

*NeCEN *(www.necen.nl <http://www.necen.nl>) is the national centre for
biological transmission electron microscopy (TEM) of the Netherlands.
The KRIOS Scientific Operators are responsible for operating the
instruments and assisting users in sample preparation and data analysis.
They may be involved in developing or optimizing novel applications in
biological TEM. The new NeCEN facility is located at the Science Faculty
of Leiden University
<http://www.science.leidenuniv.nl/index.php/english>, and houses two
highly advanced 300 kV-FEG Titan Krios microscopes, both equipped with
Falcon direct electron detector cameras, auto-loaders, remote operation
software, etc. One microscope is dedicated mainly to single particle
data collection, and is equipped with an advanced bright X-FEG and a Cs
hexupole aberration corrector. The second KRIOS Instrument is mainly
dedicated to cryo-EM tomography and is equipped with an energy filter.**

*Requirements:*We are looking for electron microscopists with extensive
experience in high resolution cryo-transmission electron microscopy of
biological samples using either single particle analysis or electron
tomography applications. A demonstrated track record (publications,
references) and special expertise in sample preparation, data collection
and/or image processing are required.We are looking for enthusiastic
team players, with experience in instructing others. Salary will depend
on experience and the competence of the individual (official websites
below are not yet up to date on the salary issue).**

*Organization:*Leiden University (http://www.leidenuniv.nl/). Leiden is
a traditional university city, hosting the oldest university in the
Netherlands (1575). The University permeates the local surroundings; its
premises are scattered throughout the historical city. The students who
live and study in Leiden give the city its relaxed yet vibrant
atmosphere; Leiden University is one of Europe's leading research
universities. **

*NeCEN *is the national centre for biological transmission electron
microscopy (TEM) of the Netherlands. It has 11 partners: Leiden
University, LUMC, TU Delft, Erasmus MC (together these partners form
Medical Delta), Utrecht University, Groningen University, TU Eindhoven,
Netherlands Cancer Institute, AMOLF, UMC St. Radboud and FEI
Company.  NeCEN is located in a newly erected building, purpose-built
for cryo-TEM. NeCEN will provide access to the most advanced forms of
TEM for academic and industrial research groups in the Netherlands and
beyond. Access to NeCEN is open to all scientists, from academia and
industry, from the Netherlands and abroad. Users will be charged an
access-fee to cover running costs. Subsidies are available for
exceptional research projects, prioritized in a peer review process.**

*Additional information: *For more information you can contact prof. dr.
H.J. Tanke h.j.tanke at lumc.nl <mailto:h.j.tanke at lumc.nl>. Tel:
+31-(0)71-5269201.**