[3dem] fiducial markers for cryoTEM

Marco Sergio Sergio.Marco at curie.fr
Thu Feb 23 00:17:29 PST 2012

Dear Frank,

                If you want to perform tomography skipping the use of fiducials you may also try using software that performs reconstructions using image alignment based on automatic points recognition such as TomoJ (we developed in our lab).
See the following papers for details:

1.       Sorzano, C.O., Messaoudi, C., Eibauer, M., Hegerl, R., Nickell, S., J.R. Bilbao-Castro., Marco, S., Carazo, J.M. (2009). Marker-free image registration of electron tomography tilt-series. BMC Bioinformatics. 10:124-135

2.       Messaoudi, C., Boudier, T., Sorzano, C.O.S., Marco, S. (2007). TomoJ: tomography software for 3D reconstruction in transmission electron microscopy.  BMC Bioinformatics. 8:288-297.

3.  Manual, tutorial and software : http://u759.curie.fr/fr/telechargements/softwares/tomoj/tomoj-00733

You have Three different possible algorithms grids, local minima and local maxima. Sometimes several trials for automatic seed detection are required.

If you decide to try and need help do not hesitate to contact me or Cedric messaoudi (cedric.messaoudi at curie.fr)

Sergio Marco

Research Director INSERM
Institut Curie / INSERM U759