[3dem] Tietz & FEI

reinhard rachel reinhard.rachel at biologie.uni-regensburg.de
Fri Sep 23 00:14:44 PDT 2011

Hi Daniel et al.,

> ... you have to have a separate computer connected to the one running the
> microscope with the camera  software (Tietz EMMENU or any other 3d party
> software such as Leginon or SerialEM).

for both, FEI and JEOL TEM's: This is also our experience, and knowledge (as of fall 2011).

> Fei makes a difference between
> cameras that you can "embed" with their software and cameras that you can't.
Yes, they do.

> I think the Tietz cameras are in the second group.
yes, true

> However, you can still use
> a Tietz  camera  without problems using Tietz or other software (Please
> anybody feel free to correct if I am wrong here or fill in more details on
> this issue).
YES, by using an external PC and TVIPS software (at least, which now includes / supports tomo, single particle data collection, and EELS/EFTEM).

> We had  a demo of the newer Tietz 4K by 4K CMOS camera (but in
> a JEOL microscope) and it seems pretty good. It has very fast acquisition so
> you wouldn't need an additional camera for focusing, scanning the grid etc.
we had a similar experience.
kind regards!
Reinhad

--