[3dem] Tietz & FEI

Bob Grassucci rg2502 at columbia.edu
Thu Sep 22 17:09:45 PDT 2011

Hi Daniel and Hernando,
We recently had our FEI Polara software upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP
BUT had to get Tecnai Version 3.1.3.  From what I understand this is the
last version where TVIPS cameras will be "embedded".  We chose this
because at the time we were using AutoEMation for the majority of our
data collection which runs in the TIA environment.  This Tecnai version
is likely NOT an option for newer instruments.  We are transitioning to
Leginon and SerialEM so we may not be a critical issue any more.  If you
want an "embedded" camera that works with all of FEI's latest software I
believe the only current options are FEI or Gatan cameras.  Please
correct me if I am wrong somebody.  Working from a "remote" computer is
becoming less and less of a problem and in some cases is desirable.
Regards,
Bob

On 9/22/2011 11:15 AM, Hernando J Sosa wrote:
> Hi Daniel
>
> I have to speak again with FEI regarding this issue.  My understanding now is that you have to have a separate computer connected to the one running the microscope with the camera  software (Tietz EMMENU or any other 3d party software such as Leginon or SerialEM).   Fei makes a difference between cameras that you can "embed" with their software and cameras that you can't. I think the Tietz cameras are in the second group. However, you can still use a Tietz  camera  without problems using Tietz or other software (Please anybody feel free to correct if I am wrong here or fill in more details on this issue).  We had  a demo of the newer Tietz 4K by 4K CMOS camera (but in a JEOL microscope) and it seems pretty good. It has very fast acquisition so you wouldn't need an additional camera for focusing, scanning the grid etc.
>
> Best
>
> Hernando

Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Columbia University Medical Center