[3dem] Tietz & FEI

Hernando J Sosa hernando.sosa at einstein.yu.edu
Thu Sep 22 08:15:51 PDT 2011

Hi Daniel

I have to speak again with FEI regarding this issue.  My understanding now is that you have to have a separate computer connected to the one running the microscope with the camera  software (Tietz EMMENU or any other 3d party software such as Leginon or SerialEM).   Fei makes a difference between cameras that you can "embed" with their software and cameras that you can't. I think the Tietz cameras are in the second group. However, you can still use a Tietz  camera  without problems using Tietz or other software (Please anybody feel free to correct if I am wrong here or fill in more details on this issue).  We had  a demo of the newer Tietz 4K by 4K CMOS camera (but in a JEOL microscope) and it seems pretty good. It has very fast acquisition so you wouldn't need an additional camera for focusing, scanning the grid etc.

Best

Hernando