[3dem] Software for Nikon Super Cool Scan

Matthias Wolf wolf at crystal.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 19 14:38:46 PDT 2011

Greg,

VueScan works well on Vista 64bit and Win7 64bit (I have used it with the 8000ED with a SCSI interface - not sure about firewire).
It supports autofocus (and manual focus - you should anyways use a modified planar holder) and batch scanning. Quality is fine.

NikonScan4 runs on WinXP 32bit.
WinXP on a virtual machine with win7, linux or OS/X as a host O/S will likely not work - I believe the firewire interface is not forwarded by either Oracle virtualbox or vmware.

I'd just get an old PC from IT and firewire PCI card, then install XP on it with NikonScan.

   Matthias