[3dem] tomography postdoc position at Lawrence Berkeley Labs (Auer)

Manfred Auer mauer at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 30 14:10:21 PDT 2011

A POSTDOC POSITION is available in the Auer lab at the Lawrence Berkeley National Labs...

... on the tomographic study of 4 distinct hair cell stereocilia macromolacular complexes central to our senses of hearing and balance. The project includes  data collection for, 3D reconstruction of and quantitative analysis of tomograms of the bundle stereocilia. We will image high-pressure frozen, freeze-substituted and resin-embedded tissue samples by dual-axis tomography as well as isolated whole-mount individual stereocilia using cryo-tomography. Samples to a large degree already exist and are already being imaged.

While knowledge in tomographic data collection, reconstruction and analysis is advantageous, the key requirement for a successful candidate is an interest in the image analysis side of tomography, including filtering, segmentation, sub-volume averaging, possibly template matching and model building. Apart from some foundations in a biological discipline, the ideal candidate can articulate a strong interest into the engineering principles of such delicate precision machineries, and should state how their previous training relates to the anticipated challenges of this project.

Funding for the position is available for 4 years.  Precise starting date is negotiable, but we aim to interview suitable candidates as quickly as possible. More information can be obtained from mauer at lbl.gov

best wishes
Manfred

Manfred Auer, Ph.D.
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory