[3dem] Turbo-Pumped Carbon Coater

Joaquin Ortega ortegaj at mcmaster.ca
Wed Dec 7 06:03:32 PST 2011

Dear Sara,

We recently purchased the 208C High Vacuum Turbo Carbon Coater from Cressington (commercialized by Ted Pella in North America)

http://www.tedpella.com/cressing_html/cres208C.html

We use it to prepare thin carbon films for grids that we use in negative staining and cryo-EM in single particle applications. The system has an optional glow discharge attachment. We purchased this attachment but it is back ordered and we have not installed yet, so I cannot comment on that. However, we are pretty happy with the quality of the carbon films produced by the unit.

It is also possible to buy a thickness monitor for this unit, which we purchased but I do not find it very accurate or reliable. One down side was that one of the boards of the unit broke only after a couple of weeks of using it. Ted Pella was pretty fast in replacing it and it was covered under the warranty. They mentioned that it was a 'common' problem in this unit. We did not have any other problems after that. Also if you are in a rush to get the coater in your lab, for this unit it takes about three months for delivery.

Best regards,

Joaquin

Joaquin Ortega. Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences
Michael G. DeGroote Institute for Infectious Disease Research
McMaster University, HSC 4H24
Hamilton. ON Canada L8S 4K1
905-525 9140 x22703.
http://web.me.com/ortegaj_mcmaster/Ortega_lab_web_site/Welcome.html