[3dem] Re: 3dem Digest, Vol 44, Issue 3

DocDave50 at aol.com DocDave50 at aol.com
Sun Apr 3 15:11:25 PDT 2011

Hi Jim,

I have not had the opportunity to  exercise to use the Joel scope but the
following procedure works excellent on  the Tecnai scopes.  Of course, the
major issue is the holder type being  used.  It's a bit different using an
Oxford Holder than the Gatan Holder  but the principle is still the same.

When using any of these holders, it is  best if you can have some reserve
left in the dewar after insertion.  One  possible issue to be concerned with
when dumping all of the Liquid N2 is that it  is possible to get some on the
viewing screen if not covered, a second is  that it is the cause for the
cracks that appear on the scope desk  top.

On the Tecnai series scopes, using  Gatan holders, you rotate the
Goniometer to -55o, start the TMP to  evacuate the airlock and remove most of the N2
in the dewar leaving residual  liquid N2.  Upon removal from the Transfer
Station, the holder is rotated  90o such that the mouth of the Holder would be
facing away from the  front of the microscope and the dewar/alignment pin
at 90o and oriented with the  airlock assembly.  Since the TMP is up to speed
and the airlock  pumped, you fully insert the holder with no loss of
remaining N2.  Since  the TMP is already at speed, it starts pumping the airlock
immediately limiting  the potential for ice contamination on the cryo-shield.
 Once the Airlock  is fully pumped, rotate the Holder (without pulling or
pushing) to the 0o  position (opening to the top), and then, while holding
the dewar  stable, rock the Goniometer back to zero.  At this point, the
Holder will pull into the microscope and the Holder Dewar is refilled with
Liquid N2.

Under these conditions, the dewar  always has residual N2, there is no need
to dump all that N2 out...on  whatever...the desktop (causing
cracks)...potentially the front screen  (potentially imploding the Camera
Chamber)...styrofoam box (throwing away all  that N2)...whatever.  With the dewar topped
off and some time allotted for  sample stabilization, away you go to collect
data.  Under these conditions,  I have found that the sample stabilizes to
drift rates less than 1A/sec  reasonably quickly and I rarely have ice
contamination.  I can't say that  this is related to the maintenance of liquid N2
in the dewar but it works  quite well.

My only concern regarding the approach  you are outlining below, Jim, is
that it would appear that you are inserting the  holder into the airlock and
then starting to pump the airlock.  I'm not  sure what the JOEL designation
for the airlock, which opened, pumps the inner  airlock (it is N2 on the
Tecnai), but you will find it much easier to pre-pump  the airlock prior to
insertion of the holder.  It is, then only moments,  before the airlock is fully
pumped such that holder insertion can commence  rather than 5 minutes.
Another benefit to the -55 counter clockwise  compustage rotation is that the
holder insertion is easier because it's easier  to hold the dewar at that
angle and you have obvious points for aligning the  holder as you are moving it
from the transfer station to the scope.

Best Wishes

David W. Chester, Ph.D.

In a message dated 4/3/2011 3:00:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,