[3dem] tilt cryoEM goniometer before sample holder insertion

Jacob Brink jbrink at jeol.com
Sun Apr 3 10:18:16 PDT 2011

Dear Jim,

Yes, you can do this also with the older 2010Fs. But, there's no need to pre-tilt the gonio that far. Typically, I would pre-tilt the gonio to 10 or 15 degrees, insert the cryoholder and start the pumping sequence. Once I get a green light, I grab the cryoholder and turn the stage back to zero tilt thus in one motion making the required 10 degrees rotation to get the holder past the micro-switches. Then one can proceed with the remainder of the insertion.

This of course required that one does not fill the cryo-holder that much. Try to keep the level of liquid nitrogen below the central rod. That gives you enough cryogen  to keep the sample cold during the transfer without any spill.

Good luck.

Jaap (JEOL USA).