[3dem] Powdered carbon fiber

Ruben Diaz-Avalos diaz at nysbc.org
Mon Sep 13 11:34:48 PDT 2010

Hi Terje,

At some point I was also looking at powdered crystals of peptides in the EM, and was concerned that they were not really stuck to the grid, so to have peace of mind, I evaporated a rather fine layer of carbon on top of the sample after the powder had been applied. Never saw any ill effects on the microscope, but then again, the amount was so insignificant that it was unlikely to have any discernible effect.

Of course, with time I stopped doing that with every sample and never heard Ken Taylor screaming about somebody ruining the microscope!

Ruben.

Ruben Diaz-Avalos, Ph.D.,
Technical Director,
New York Structural Biology Center,