[3dem] Powdered carbon fiber

Terje Dokland dokland at uab.edu
Mon Sep 13 11:25:22 PDT 2010

We have a user in the materials science who is interested in looking
at carbon fiber samples in the TEM. My understanding is the sample
will be carbonized and powdered, then applied it to holey film before
putting it in the microscope. They are interested in the pore sizes.
Our F20 TEM is primarily used for cryo-EM of biological samples.
Should I be concerned about contaminating the column? Carbon powder
does not seem like something I want inside the column, but perhaps it
should not be a concern? As long as the powder stays on the grid it
should not be a problem, I suppose, but just sprinkling the powder on
the grid does not seem to be such a good idea. Would there be a way
to ensure that the sample does stick to the grid, such as washing or
outgassing or pre-treating the grids?