[3dem] Cryo-EM size limit

Michael Landsberg m.landsberg at imb.uq.edu.au
Wed Oct 27 23:46:52 PDT 2010

Dear Reza,

As Sacha has correctly pointed out, Gary's response is misleading and does not really answer your question principally because:

* The cited example images are claimed to be of a 56kda dimer attached to a presumably much larger HDL particle. This is a very different proposition to analyzing a 56kda particle in isolation.

* The cited example is (as stated in the figure legend) negatively stained, not cryo as you asked.

So to answer your question, my own experience is that cryoEM SPA becomes challenging at 200-300kda and below. Others may share differing opinions though and in my opinion this is because ultimately it comes down to whether you can confidently identify and acquire a homogeneous distribution of your target particle.

Regards
Michael

--
Dr Michael Landsberg