[3dem] Cryo-EM size limit

Gang (Gary) Ren gren at lbl.gov
Thu Oct 28 10:35:37 PDT 2010

Hi, Michael, Sacha and Reza

It is fun to have different opinion in Science. I wish Michael could read the figure legend completely before making real comments. Figure 5, clear stated that the B, C, D, E, F, G images were from cryo-EM instead of negative-staining stated in Michael’s second comment.

I copied the figure 5 legend here for you,

“FIGURE 5. Discoidal shapes of reconstituted apoA-I/HDL particles revealed by negative-stain and electron cryo-tomography. In each view the axis of tilt is vertical to the images (diagrammatically illu-strated in upper and bottom center of panel A). Selected titled images are linked by dotted arrows. Rela-tive tilt angles are indicated in each image. Scale bars represent 200 Å. A. Three selected tilted views of apoA-I/HDL particles from one negative-stain electron microscopic field. B-G. Selected tilted views of near native state apoA-I/HDL particles embedded in vitreous ice from six cryo-electron microscopic fields.”

Some background information for both of you for discussion of the molecular weight in HDL particle, HDL contains two copies of apolipoprotein A-I (apoA-I, 28KDa) and Phospholipids (POPCs). Each apoA-I contains 11-mer tandem amino acid sequence repeats in the periodicity of an amphipathic α helix, often punctuated by prolines. Two apoA-Is anti-parallel to each other and wrapped the around the hydrophobic edge of the discoidal shaped lipid-bilayer. To be noticed, HDL particles are highly dynamic and heterogeneity in size and amount of lipids.

If you are interested in more background knowledge about this HDL, following paper is a good one,

 <http://www.jbc.org/content/274/45/31755.full> http://www.jbc.org/content/274/45/31755.full

Comparing to lipids, protein portion in HDL particle is relatively high, the ring-shaped high density in the figure 5 represented for the protein portion (~56kDa), but may bound with small amount of attached POPCs.

Of course, you may argue that HDL particle is a special case for cryo-EM because the protein is not packaged tightly as most soluble protein, and lipids may enhance the protein contrast due to it less density than ice.

Back to Reza’s original question, my option is that the protein with molecular weight less than 100kDa is possible to be determined by cryo-EM, I didn’t see any fundamental reason from physics and electron microscope that limited the small protein reconstruction by cryo-EM, however, I do know it is challenging project that highly depended on how to optimize the experimental conditions, such as sample preparation, cryo-EM operation and 3D reconstruction procedure as I stated before. Nevertheless, challenging the difficulty is part of fun for Science.

Best

Gary

Gang (Gary) Ren, PhD
Staff Scientist