[3dem] Cryo-EM size limit

Sacha De Carlo sachadecarlo at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 22:04:29 PDT 2010

Your "particles" from Fig. 5 are almost as big as your scale bar. From the legend one can read it's corresponding to 200A, or 20nm. That's huge for a 56kDa protein!!!

Euk. RNA polymerase II is about 16nm in its "largest" extension, and it's a 514kDa protein.

Please refrain from using preposterous statements such as "it should be no problem to get an intermediate resolution reconstruction on protein that is less than 100kDa by single-particle cryo-EM".

Any object that is below 200 kDa and more or less globular in shape will be a "tricky" one in terms of obtaining very good alignment parameters (from unstained, frozen-hydrated samples) leading to a 3D map showing 15A details...

Thank you, and a good night,

sacha

Sacha De Carlo, Assistant Professor
Chemistry Department, Marshak Science Building &
New York Structural Biology Center
The City College of New York
Convent Ave & 138th Street
New York, NY 10031