[3dem] Help on particles automatic boxing

Carlos Oscar Sánchez Sorzano coss at cnb.csic.es
Sun Oct 3 22:09:26 PDT 2010

Xmipp has a an automatic picking mode that learns from the user the kind
of particles she is interested in. The easiest way is to enter through
the protocols (xmipp_protocols -> Particle picking, and set the
automatic picking mode).

Automatic particle picking (Xmipp's and any other one) works when
particles are clearly visible. After trying on different datasets you
learn to recognize on which datasets they might work and on which they
might not. As a rule of thumb, for small particles whose projections are
not so good or they are not too defocused (=>low contrast), automatic
particle pickers have great difficulty in doing a good job.

Kind regards, Carlos Oscar

Carlos Oscar Sánchez Sorzano                  e-mail:   coss at cnb.csic.es
Biocomputing unit                             http://biocomp.cnb.csic.es
National Center of Biotechnology (CSIC)
c/Darwin, 3
Campus Universidad Autónoma (Cantoblanco)     Tlf: 34-91-585 4510
28049 MADRID (SPAIN)                          Fax: 34-91-585 4506