[3dem] Alternative service contracts for FEI microscopes

Terje Dokland dokland at uab.edu
Tue Mar 16 09:34:48 PDT 2010

I'm sorry, I think I used the wrong terminology. From the point of
view of the user, REMI would act as an "insurance company" but in
fact they are not. As somebody pointed out, they work by
consolidating many service contracts. The end user would just call in
service and maintenance when needed and the bill would be sent to REMI.

One obvious concern is of course that the excellent and extremely
helpful FEI engineers often act above and beyond what they strictly
need to do according to the service contract.

Thanks for the advice! This is useful information.
terje

On Mar 16, 2010, at 11:18 AM, Gursky, Richard wrote:

> Hello Terje,
>
> I think that FEI is currently not dealing with insurance companies
> that
> provide service.  I understand that FEI has in the past but several
> have
> come up and shown a good face, taken the users money and then
> folded.  I
> know the FEI has then had to step in to help the customer.  This
> proved
> very expensive so FEI has made some policy steps.  I would check with
> your FEI service folks before you do this.  I also attached a part
> of a
> thread from last year when this came up.
>
> I hope this helps.

---
Terje Dokland, PhD
Associate Professor
Department of Microbiology
University of Alabama at Birmingham
845 19th St South, BBRB 311
Birmingham, AL 35294
Tel: (205) 996 4502
Fax: (205) 996 2667

Convictions are greater enemies of truth than lies.     -- Friedrich
Nietzsche