[3dem] Alternative service contracts for FEI microscopes

Terje Dokland dokland at uab.edu
Tue Mar 16 08:46:45 PDT 2010

We have been offered a service contract for our FEI Tecnai F20 that
is 25% below the FEI price through a company called REMI. Basically
they operate like an insurance company and the service would be
carried out by FEI engineers as usual, but charged directly to REMI.
Apparently they have offered similar service contracts for a range of
equipment from many manufacturers (centrifuges, spectrometers etc.)
through this system, but they have only recently started offering it
for electron microscopes. I was told that the University of
California system has switched to this mechanism for their FEI
contracts. Obviously there is a potential savings of 1000s of $$
here, but does anybody have any experience with how this works in
practice? Does it work as smoothly as REMI claims or has anybody had
any problems getting their service and maintenance needs through this
system? Any advice on this would be very helpful. Thanks,
Terje

---
Terje Dokland, PhD
Associate Professor
Department of Microbiology
University of Alabama at Birmingham
845 19th St South, BBRB 311
Birmingham, AL 35294
Tel:	(205) 996 4502
Fax:	(205) 996 2667

Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.   -- John Adams