[3dem] Postdoc position at Imperial College London

Marin van Heel m.vanheel at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jun 2 11:12:17 PDT 2010

*POSTDOCTORAL POSITION AVAILABLE*

We have one postdoctoral position available in our group based at
Imperial College London.  This BBSRC funded position is initially for
two years and is aimed at improving single-particle cryo-EM
methodology.  This position for software and methodology development is
available immediately! Our grant is for processing huge data sets of
biological molecules containing a mixture of functional / structural
states. We study different biological systems including small (~100k)
molecules, ribosomes and icosahedral viruses. Candidates with a
background in cryo-EM, X-ray crystallography, physics, chemistry,
biology, computer sciences, mathematics, or other related fields are
encouraged to apply. A sharp analytical mind and the ability to work in
a team are essential. Programming experience is required, preferably in
Fortran and/or ‘C’.

My group has a long track record in methodology development and many of
the now standard procedures in single-particle cryo-EM stem originally
from us including: MSA classification; projection matching; angular
reconstitution. We are looking for a creative team member who will
contribute to the current rapid methodological developments in 4D
cryo-EM (Klaholz et al, Nature 2004; van Heel et al, “Imagic 4D”;
Intern. Table for Crystallography. Vol. F, 2010. see:
http://www.single-particles.org).

Data collection will take place on our own suites of CBEM microscopes
(CM300-LiHe-FEG/CM200-FEG/T12), on Holger Stark’s KRIOS in Göttingen;
and the KRIOS instrument to be installed in Leiden University (The
Netherlands) later this year. A computer cluster equipped with some 600
CPU cores and 25+Tbyte of disk space is available for our group.

Please send an email including your CV to myself and to my
administrator (m.vanheel at ic.ac.uk <mailto:m.vanheel at ic.ac.uk> and
_mvh.office at gmail.com <mailto:mvh.office at gmail.com>_).

Kind regards,

Marin van Heel

     Marin van Heel

     Professor of Structural Biology
     Division of Molecular Biosciences
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     Imperial College London
     Biochemistry Building
     South Kensington Campus
     London SW7 2AZ,  UK

     Tel:        + 44 (0)20 7594 5316

     e_mail: m.vanheel(A_T)ic.ac.uk
     and:<vanheel.office(A_T)ic.ac.uk>
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com
     private email:   marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com