[3dem] CCD/CMOS cameras and software

Hodgkinson.Julie at mh-hannover.de Hodgkinson.Julie at mh-hannover.de
Wed Jun 2 04:58:15 PDT 2010

Hi all,

we're shopping for ccd cameras for HR TEM of Biological samples for Tomo or singla particle work.

I'd very much like to collect some of your feelings about which CCDs or indeed CMOS cameras you recommend, including opinions on the supplied analysis software. We'd like to hear about good aspects and problems with any of the setups.

We're looking at Tietz 4kx4k which we know has a good record along with the EMMENU4 software but are also considering the new 8k by 8k ccd from them, though we did hear there were a rumor of some quality control issues with the larger chips...?

We're also looking at FEI CCDs at the moment so anyone with "Eagles" and particularly the new Falcon ccd/cmos camera we'd like to hear your experiences.

We don't really know anything about the new CMOS cameras from either company so any thoughts on these would be great to hear.

One final question: does anyone know if one can use say EMMENU4 with FEI CCD cameras?

The likely scopes on which these would be fitted are an FEI TITAN Krios or Jeol JEM-3200FS

cheers

Jools

Dr. Julie L. Hodgkinson
Dept. Molecular and Cell Physiology, OE4210
Medical School Hannover
Carl-Neuberg-Str. 1
30625 Hannover