[3dem] simulated micrograph for ctf determination?

Joachim Frank jf2192 at columbia.edu
Fri Sep 11 07:11:53 PDT 2009

Dear Alex & Jinghua:

simulations that generate projection, then apply the CTF, then add
noise leave out an important part: structural noise, which has to be
added BEFORE application of the CTF.  The consideration of this
pre-CTF noise complicates the overall picture.  See Baxter et al., JSB
2008.  Modeled data designed for testing classification algorithms
have been deposited at the EBI.  It should be easy to put a script
together following the recipe of the paper, and the SNRs we measured,
using any image processing system (SPIDER, IMAGIC, EMAN, etc.)

--Joachim

Quoting Alexandre Cunha <cunha at caltech.edu>:

> We are also interested in something similar. We searched but didn't
> find programs that can take a known protein complex, for example from
> the PDB, and automatically generate random noisy projections similar to
> what could be a real single particle experiment. Ideally we would like
> to be able to control image properties (level and type of noise, CTF,
> etc.) so to parameterize and quantify our classification methods
> accordingly.
>
> Any recommendations are really appreciated.
>
> - Alex.
>
> Steven Ludtke wrote:
>> There are several programs which will do this. For my part, you can
>>  use ctfit or applyctf  in EMAN1. However,
>> even with realistic pink noise added, these images still remain an
>> imperfect simulation of real images. Different
>> programs use different strategies for the raw image processing
>> (working with the whole micrograph, boxed out
>> particles, boxed out carbon film, etc.), so it's hard to come up
>> with a single uniform test for them all...

>> Steven Ludtke, Ph.D.
>> Associate Professor, Dept. of Biochemistry and Mol. Biol.      Those who do
>> Co-Director National Center For Macromolecular Imaging            ARE
>> Baylor College of Medicine                                     The converse
>> sludtke at bcm.edu <mailto:sludtke at bcm.edu>  -or-
>> stevel at alumni.caltech.edu <mailto:stevel at alumni.caltech.edu>
>>        also applies
>> http://ncmi.bcm.edu/~stevel
>>
>> On Sep 10, 2009, at 4:55 PM, jinghua tang wrote:
>>
>>> To test various programs for determine the CTF, or simply the
>>> defocus, does anyone have
>>> a way to generate a simulated micrograph in which different CTF
>>> was applied?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance for your kind helps!
>>>
>>> Jinghua
>>> 3dem mailing list
>>> 3dem at ncmir.ucsd.edu <mailto:3dem at ncmir.ucsd.edu>

Joachim Frank, Ph.D.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator,
Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics,
and Department of Biology, Columbia University,
650 West 168th Street, P&S Black 2-221
New York, NY 10032
(T) 212 305-9510  (F) 212 305-9500  Admin Asst: Tornubari Barinee 212 305-9512
(E) jf2192 at columbia.edu
http://www.hhmi.org/research/investigators/frank.html