[3dem] simulated micrograph for ctf determination?

Marin van Heel m.vanheel at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Sep 11 03:21:34 PDT 2009

Dear Jinghua and Alex,

The IMAGIC command MODEL-MICROGRAPH will generate (stacks of)
micrographs with (for example) randomly distributed single particle
images. These single particle images are typically generated by
projecting a (set of) 3D PDB structure(s) in random orientations (using
the IMAGIC command THREED-MODEL-CREATION). MODEL-MICROGRAPH was created
to generate test data for automatic particle picking programs such as
our parallel PICK_M_ALL program. This latter program is aimed at picking
particles from huge sets of micrographs (astigmatic or non-astigmatic
data collection of large data sets on film or CCD).  Once the noise-free
"micrographs" are created with MODEL-MICROGRAPH one would typically
first impose a CTF and then add realistic levels of noise depending on
the type of model data required.

Hope this helps,

Marin

===========================

jinghua tang wrote:
> To test various programs for determine the CTF, or simply the defocus,
> does anyone have
> a way to generate a simulated micrograph in which different CTF was
> applied?
>
> Thank you in advance for your kind helps!
>
> Jinghua

    Marin van Heel

    Professor of Structural Biology

    Division of Molecular Biosciences
    Faculty of Natural Sciences
    Imperial College London
    Biochemistry Building
    South Kensington Campus
    London SW7 2AZ,        UK

    Tel:        + 44 (0)20 7594 5316
    Fax:        + 44 (0)20 7594 5317

    e_mail: m.vanheel(A_T)ic.ac.uk
    and:    <vanheel.office(A_T)ic.ac.uk>
    and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com
    private email:   marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
    web:    www.cbem.ic.ac.uk

I receive many emails per day and, although I try, there is no guarantee
that I will actually read each incoming email. Moreover,
Imperial College Spam filters can be strikt and sometimes
make legitimate emails disappear (try the gmail accounts, alternatively)