[3dem] Postdoc position at NIH

Jenny Hinshaw jennyh at helix.nih.gov
Tue Jun 16 09:10:40 PDT 2009

Postdoctoral Position Available
Laboratory of Cell Biochemistry and Biology
National Institute of Health, USA

Our laboratory is studying the structure and function of the dynamin
family of proteins. Dynamin family members are large GTPases involved
in numerous membrane fission and fusion events in the cell. Dynamin
is crucial for endocytosis, synaptic membrane recycling, and membrane
trafficking within the cell.  Other dynamin family members are
involved in mitochondria division and fusion, anti-viral activity,
and localized to plant cell wall formation and thylakoid membrane
organization. To determine if a common mechanism exists among this
unique set of proteins, we are investigating the three-dimensional
structure of dynamin family members using cryo-electron microscopy
combined with helical reconstruction and single particle methods. In
addition, we are examining the role of dynamin partners such as
endophilin and amphyphysin in endocytosis. This work entails
purification and characterizing the dynamin proteins and partners by
applying biochemistry, molecular biology, fluorescent and
cryo-electron microscopy techniques.

With its diverse laboratories and expertise readily available on
campus, and excellent seminars in basic and clinical sciences, NIH
provides a superb and stimulating scientific environment that greatly
enhances the postdoctoral training experience. Within our brand new
laboratory we have a Philips CM120 electron microscope equipped with
CCD cameras and cryo-stages and are expecting the installation of a
state-of-the art 200kV FEG TEM (TF20) in our new EM suite this fall.
We further have shared access to a helium-cooled 300kV FEG (Polara)
TEM and direct access to a range of confocal microscope within the
department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry. In addition, we share
expertise and scientific discussions daily with several established
cell and structural biology laboratories.

The position is initially for 2 years and can be extended up to 5
years.  Incoming/new postdocs with 0-1 years experience will receive
a starting stipend of $44,000; 1-2 years experience will receive
$44,600.

You can contact me directly or apply on line at:
http://www.training.nih.gov/apps/publicForms/postdoctoral/forms/adIndex.aspx

Contact:  Jenny E. Hinshaw

Laboratory of Cell Biochemistry and Biology
NIDDK, NIH
Building 8, Room 1A03
8 Center Dr MSC 0851
Bethesda, MD 20892, USA