[3dem] Scientific software engineer post with EMDB at EBI

Christoph Best best at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jun 15 04:31:46 PDT 2009

Dear colleagues:

EMDB, the Electron Microscopy Data Bank at the European Bioinformatics
Institute in Cambridge, England, has a staff position opening for a

  Scientific Software Engineer (Image Databases)

We are looking for someone with very good software engineering skills
(target platform is GNU/Linux and Mac OSX, primary languages Java and
Python, focus on web-based interfaces and distributed
applications/grids/clouds), a background in image analysis/bioimage
informatics, structural biology, or (bio-)physics, a thorough grasp of
mathematical and statistical algorithms, and a track record of
developing and maintaining scientific software.

The post is funded by BBSRC in a joint project with OME, the Open
Microscopy Environment (www.openmicroscopy.org) group at the University
of Dundee. EMDB is operated jointly with Rutgers University, New Jersey,
and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, under NIH funding, so there
will be plenty of opportunity for international collaboration.  EMDB is
part of the PDBe team at EBI.

Example topics to work on would be to integrate electron microscopy data
sets into OME, provide better tools for the visualization and analysis
of large complex data sets, develop tools for statistical assessment of
image quality, and figure out how to use the emerging grid/cloud
computing infrastructures for storage and computation of EMDB data.

More information about EMDB is at

  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/pdbe/emdb

Feel free to contact me directly if you want to know more.

The post is an EMBL staff position with an initial contract for three
years. Details are in the job posting at

  http://www.embl.de/aboutus/jobs/jobs_embl_ebi_hinxton/2009/09_049_ebi

Please not that applications should be sent to

  <applications at ebi.ac.uk>

Thanks!
-Christoph