[3dem] University of Washington Biophysical Virology Postdoc

Kelly Lee kklee at u.washington.edu
Fri Jun 12 12:21:55 PDT 2009

Postdoc in Biophysical Virology

A postdoctoral position is available in the Lee Structural Virology
Lab in the Department of Medicinal Chemistry at the University of
Washington, Seattle.

Our work focuses on the structural changes exhibited by virus capsids
and viral proteins during events such genome packaging, receptor
binding, and host invasion. These macromolecular machines undergo
dramatic conformational changes that in some cases involve the
concerted reorganization of hundreds of protein subunits and nucleic
acid. The goal of our work is to understand the mechanisms that drive
these transitions. We study a number of fundamental biological
problems including: 1) membrane fusion, with a focus on influenza
virus, 2) viral capsid assembly with a focus on hepatitis B virus
core assembly, and 3) virus maturation, with a focus on the
icosahedral capsids from bacteriophages.

The primary methods we use are time-resolved, solution small-angle X-
ray scattering (SAXS) and cryo-electron tomography (cryo-ET). 3-D
structural models for virus particles and their component parts are
determined by applying ab initio reconstruction algorithms to the
SAXS data. Cryo-ET provides 3-D structures of trapped intermediate
states in complex macromolecular assemblages. Various biophysical and
biochemical methods are used to complement the two primary techniques.

The University of Washington has excellent resources including: a
200kV FEG-equipped FEI TF20 cryo-EM and a 120kV LaB6 filament-
equipped FEI T12 cryo-EM. State of the art light microscopy and mass
spectrometry core facilities are also available. SAXS experiments are
conducted at the Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource (SSRL).

Applicant qualifications include a strong background in any of the
following areas: 1) Cryo-electron microscopy of biological specimens;
2) Quantitative Biophysics, Biochemistry, or Structural Biology; 3)
Mass Spectrometry; 4) Quantitative Fluorescence Microscopy including
Single-Molecule Fluorescence; 5) candidates from Virology backgrounds
with an interest in biophysics and structure determination are also
encouraged to apply. We seek a highly motivated, creative scientist
who enjoys an open, collaborative environment.

Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter, CV, publications
list, and names and contact information for three references to Dr.
Kelly Lee (kklee at u.washington.edu).

Kelly K. Lee, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University of
Washington
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Microbiology, University
of Washington
Phone 206-616-3972  E-mail kklee at u.washington.edu