[3dem] high pressure freezing of nervous tissue

Rana Ibrahim rana.ibrahim at snv.jussieu.fr
Thu Apr 23 08:26:34 PDT 2009

    Hi,

    I did 2 tests of high pressure freezing (Bal-Tec HPM 010 machine) followed by cryosubstitution on the olfactory bulb unfortunately the biological material was full of freezing artifacts due to the high water content of the nervous tissue.

    Our lab has the opportunity to use the LEICA EM HPM 100 high pressure freezing machine. I am wondering whether this machine would give me better freezing results on my specimens. My question is, does the HPM gives better cryofixation and what are their advantages and specificity relating to the other high pressure freezing machines, for ex. LEICA EM-PACT 2?

    Thank you in advance,

    Rana

Rana Ibrahim
Université Pierre et Marie Curie
UMR CNRS 7102 - Neurobiologie des Processus Adaptatifs
Bât. B - 6ème étage
9 quai St Bernard - 75005 Paris
Bureau: (01) 44 27 25 65
cell: (06) 22 80 98 50