[3dem] high pressure freezing of nervous tissue

Benoit Zuber bzuber at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 27 02:24:05 PDT 2009

Hi  Rana,

As far as brain tissue is concerned, the HPM 010 and the EMPACT /
EMPACT2 are equivalent. Neither can vitrify brain without the use of
cryoprotectant.

See our paper for a protocol (PNAS 2005, 102, 19192-19197). 20% dextran,
the usual extracellular cryoprotectant used to achieve vitrification
with high pressure freezing, is not sufficient in the case of brain.
Some more sucrose must be added, presumably to slightly concentrate
cytoplasm by dragging some water off the cells by osmotic pressure.

I have not tried HPM100 but in my eyes there you should not expect a
different situation: the principles of the machine is the same as HPM010.

For EMPACT and EMPACT2, I use 200 um membrane carriers; for HPM010, I
make a sandwich with two type-A carriers of a total thickness of 300 um.

Good luck,
Ben

--
Benoît Zuber