[3dem] Tecnai script

Jianlin Lei jllei at wadsworth.org
Thu May 22 10:23:16 PDT 2008

Hi, Eduardo,

Your proposal is some sort of semi-automated data collection which is very
similar to what has been done in Phoebe Stewart's group. If you apply it
to home-made grid, it is probably fine because you can manually save
locations with very wide spacing if your grid has very large areas of
suitable ice thickness. But if you use quantifoil grids you have to think
about re-location accuracy due to the backlash error in goniometer
movement.

We use our software AutoEMation developed in our group for our routine
automated data collection (including defocal pairs). We use Quaitifoil
grids. There is no need to manually save locations inside a grid square.
After initial setup, it can be left completely unattended on our Tecnai
Polara for overnight CCD data collection.

Jianlin

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Eduardo Sanz-Garcia wrote:

> I was thinking on writing a script for a Tecnai F30 that would read a
> text file that store the good spots inside a grid square, move to them,
> and take a defocus pair.
> Before writing it, I thought it would be best to ask if someone has
> already written something similar, and if this approach sounds reasonable.
> I use lacey carbon, therefore, spotscan, I believe, doesn't fit my needs.
> I also found that the focus level doesn't vary so much inside each grid
> square so I do not need to refocus at every step.
>
> The idea is the following, for those familiar with the Technai F30:
>
>    1. Use Stage2 panel to store the good spots inside a grid square (in
>       Search mode)
>    2. Save the spots in a text file.
>    3. Start the script to read the locations.
>    4. Move to the first.
>    5. Go to Exposure mode.
>    6. Take a pair of pictures (different defocus).
>    7. Move to the next spot.
>
> Thank you very much

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.