[3dem] Zeiss SCAI/ ZI Photoscan discontinued

Steve Ludtke sludtke at bcm.edu
Thu Nov 15 11:53:32 PST 2007

We originally used an in-house modified glassless holder, and in fact, that's
what we used on the 4A GroEL structure. Eventually we had too many problems with
films that weren't flat, and built some glass holders using the FH869 holder as
a base. We found that, while they were ok, there was variation in quality in the
Nikon glass holders, and one would observe focus variation across the film. By
carefully measuring the MTF across the film, and using varying numbers of pieces
of scotch tape, with epoxy once optimized, we managed to get a glass holder that
had very good performance across the film. You do lose some fraction of the
film, perhaps 10-15%, but we simply accept this limitation.

Steven Ludtke, PhD              |        Baylor College of Medicine
sludtke at bcm.tmc.edu             |     Associate Professor & Co-Director
stevel at alumni.caltech.edu       | National Center For Macromolecular Imaging
V: (713)798-9020                |    Dept of Biochemistry and Mol. Biol.
F: (713)798-1625                |
http://ncmi.bcm.edu/~stevel     |         The converse also applies