[3DEM] Announcing EMAN 1.8

Steve Ludtke sludtke at bcm.edu
Fri Jan 19 09:50:55 PST 2007

**** Messages to this list are automatically archived ***
**** Please limit quoting of previous postings to the bare minimum ****

Finally, after over a year, we are pleased to announce a new stable release of
EMAN (1.8). Note that EMAN2 is a separate effort, and can be installed
simultaneously with EMAN1 (but is still in alpha testing). The new EMAN website
is at:

http://blake.bcm.edu/EMAN

Major changes in this new version include:

    * Substantial improvements in refine2d.py. Strongly suggest using
      refine2d.py on all new data sets before moving on to 3D reconstruction.
    * A cross-platform OS-X binary.
    * Some programs use the EMAN2 style arguments ie - 'program --option=value'
      rather than the old style 'program option=value' (should be obvious
      which ones).
    * New HDF5 format compatible with EMAN2. Data can be stored in HDF5 files in
      many different ways. EMAN 1.8 will read both old (EMAN 1.7) HDF5 format
      files as  well as new EMAN2 style HDF5 files. HDF5 writes are always in
      'new' HDF5 format. Note that the current HDF I/O methods have poor
      performance on files with large numbers (~10,000 or more) of images in a
      single file. We're working on it...
    * New AIRS programs, such as 'skeleton', and tools for chain-tracing
    * Updated Chimera support
    * Initial support for tetrahedral/cubic symmetry (not well tested yet).
    * New options to make refinement work better on large icosahedral objects.
    * Improvements in parallelism infrastructure, though network-related
      problems may still exist on some linux clusters (please report problems)
      Fixed random model generation in makeinitialmodel.py

Steven Ludtke, PhD              |        Baylor College of Medicine
sludtke at bcm.tmc.edu             |       Asst. Professor & Co-Director
stevel at alumni.caltech.edu       | National Center For Macromolecular Imaging
V: (713)798-9020                |    Dept of Biochemistry and Mol. Biol.
F: (713)798-1625                |
instant messenger: sludtke42    |             Those who Do, Are
http://ncmi.bcm.tmc.edu/~stevel |         The converse also applies