[3DEM] Staff Scientist Position at NIH

Jenny Hinshaw jennyh at helix.nih.gov
Thu Jan 11 05:37:00 PST 2007

Staff Scientist Position Available
Laboratory of Cell Biochemistry and Biology
National Institute of Health, USA

A staff scientist position is available in the
laboratory of Jenny Hinshaw at NIH.  The
qualified candidate may participate in ongoing
research projects of the Hinshaw laboratory
and/or initiate independent research projects in
closely related fields. The successful candidate
should have a Ph.D. with postdoctoral experience
in Cell and Structural biology involving cryo-EM
and image processing.

A major focus of our research is calculating 3
dimensional structures of proteins involved in
endocytosis and membrane remodeling events. We
currently have solved the structure of a dynamin
mutant in the constricted and non-constricted
states to a resolution of 20 Å.  Dynamin is
crucial for endocytosis, synaptic membrane
recycling, membrane trafficking within the cell
and more recently has been associated with
filamentous actin.  Other dynamin family members
are involved in mitochondria division and
morphology (Drp1, Mgm1), anti-viral activity (Mx,
hGBP1), and plant cell wall  formation and
thylakoid membrane organization (Phragmoplastin,
ADLs). To determine if a common mechanism exists
among this unique set of proteins, we plan to
calculate and compare the 3D structure of dynamin
family members using cryo-electron microscopy,
helical reconstruction  and single particle
methods.  Another interest of the laboratory is
to determine the 3-dimensional structure of the
nuclear pore complex (NPC) in C. Elegans.  This
project will entail developing a method of
isolating NPCs from C. Elegans and comparing
various NPC mutants using the C. Elegans
well-developed genetic system.  The 3D structure
of Xenopus NPC was previously solved by Drs.
Hinshaw, Carragher and Milligan and will be used
as a model system for developing the C. Elegans
system.

Contact:  Jenny E. Hinshaw

Laboratory of Cell Biochemistry and Biology
NIDDK, NIH
Building 8, Room 419
8 Center Dr MSC 0851
Bethesda, MD 20892, USA