[3DEM] Wikipedia pages for EM Software Tools

Bridget Carragher bcarr at scripps.edu
Fri Sep 15 16:29:36 PDT 2006

**** Messages to this list are automatically archived ***
**** Please limit quoting of previous postings to the bare minimum ****

Dear 3DEM community,

As many of you already know we will shortly be publishing a new
Special Issue of the Journal of Structural Biology  entitled
"Software Tools for Molecular Microscopy".  As part of the activities
around this issue we have started a Wikipedia page
(http://en.wikipedia.org) that we hope will provide a more complete
list of packages and up-to-date distribution information of all of
the software of interest to the cryoEM community. You can view this
page at
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_tools_for_molecular_microscopy).

Please feel free to add new entries to these pages or update them or
modify them as needed.  Anyone can edit a Wiki page by just clicking
on the blue [edit] button next to any entry or selecting the main
"edit this page" button at the top.  Please follow Wiki etiquette
(see for example:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:About#Contributing_to_Wikipedia>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:About#Contributing_to_Wikipedia)
and avoid content that might be considered as too subjective by the
rest of the community (making it likely that it will be immediately
removed by the next editor!)

We hope the idea of community organized Wiki pages will catch on and
that users and software developers will all contribute to the pages
to keep them current and relevant.

The site might also perhaps serve as a point of contact to begin
discussions of some of the issues of compatibility and integration
that remain as problems for EM software development.  We would
welcome your comments and suggestions on this and any other point but
most importantly we encourage you to fix errors and make changes to
the  pages directly.

Bridget Carragher and Clint Potter

Bridget Carragher, Associate Professor
Automated Molecular Imaging Group, Department of Cell Biology
The Scripps Research Institute, MC CB129,10550 North Torrey Pines
Road, La Jolla, CA 92037
tel: (858) 784-9070; fax: (858) 784-9090; bcarr at scripps.edu;
http://ami.scripps.edu
National Resource for Automated Molecular Microscopy: http://nramm.scripps.edu