[3DEM] 626 cryoholder pin

Bill Tivol tivol at caltech.edu
Tue May 2 11:18:49 PDT 2006

**** Messages to this list are automatically archived ***
**** Please limit quoting of previous postings to the bare minimum ****

On May 1, 2006, at 9:56 PM, Melissa Jurica wrote:

> Just wanted to relate this experience: I have sheared the pin on a 626
> cryoholder just by turning the holder the wrong direction.  One can
> easily put significant torque on it due to the extra leverage afforded
> by the mass of the holder.  Given my weak arm and my usually good
> sense to never turn something that feels like it just doesn't want to
> go, I was horrified to find I had made this mistake.  We were also
> lucky that it didn't damage the scope, but it was a pretty penny to
> fix the holder.

Hi Melissa,
	I am pretty sure that at the time the first pin broke the holder was
not rotated in the wrong direction, and the second time it was in the
pumping station just before it broke, so it was not rotated at all when
it broke.  The large number of replies from people having similar
experiences leads me to believe that user error plays a smaller role in
this problem than design features.  I would be interested to find out
the effect of thermal cycling on the material constituting the pin.
Yours,
Bill Tivol, PhD
EM Scientist and Manager
Cryo-Electron Microscopy Facility