[3DEM] 626 cryoholder pin

Bill Tivol tivol at caltech.edu
Tue May 2 11:00:34 PDT 2006

**** Messages to this list are automatically archived ***
**** Please limit quoting of previous postings to the bare minimum ****

On May 1, 2006, at 11:53 PM, Sharon G. Wolf wrote:

> We had problems with the pin breaking as well.
> Have you noticed if the pin is tilted in a specific direction?
>  Turns out that ours was being banged and
> bent when being pulled out from the pumping station. The pumping
> station has a little "ledge" which
> can catch on the pin and bend it. Our in-house technician adapted it so
> that this no longer happens.

Hi Sharon,
	Every time I have checked the pin I have seen it the right length and
oriented perpendicular to the axis of the holder, and I have instructed
all the users to check these two properties also and report any
variation to me.  The two users who were on the scope when the pin
broke are very trustworthy, so I am sure that the pin looked normal
just before it broke.  Your idea about removing the ledge in the
pumping station is a good one, and I'll have our machinist remove it on
ours.
Yours,
Bill Tivol, PhD
EM Scientist and Manager