[3DEM] 626 cryoholder pin

Bill Tivol tivol at caltech.edu
Tue May 2 11:38:53 PDT 2006

**** Messages to this list are automatically archived ***
**** Please limit quoting of previous postings to the bare minimum ****

On May 1, 2006, at 11:59 PM, Robert Morrison wrote:

> Just a quick note re the construction of the holders. The end tip and
> pin
> are machined from a single solid piece of metal in order to make them
> as
> strong as possible (i.e. no soldered or threaded joints).
> Unfortunately, we
> cannot choose the pin diameter. If the dewar is used to turn the
> holder in
> the airlock there is a lot more torque available than with the standard
> holder. We have often seen broken pins where the holder was not pushed
> fully
> in to the goniometer or when the user has turned it past the mark on
> the
> goniometer cover when removing the holder.

Hi Bob,
	Thank you for your note.  I can see in the dissecting scope that the
pin is a single piece the base of which is square.  I cannot, of
course, see below the outside of the rod, but it does not look as
though the process of turning down the cylindrical end of the pin from
the square base would make the innermost part of the cylinder prone to
the breakage that we have experienced.
Yours,
Bill Tivol, PhD
EM Scientist and Manager