[3DEM] 2dx - image processing for 2D crystals

Henning Stahlberg HStahlberg at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jul 7 13:36:29 PDT 2006

Hi,

We are happy to announce the first release of the 2dx software.

2dx provides a graphical user interface for the computer processing
of 2D crystal images. So far, the program 2dx_image is available for
the processing of individual images of tilted or non-tilted 2D
crystals. Merging will be implemented in the near future.

2dx assists running c-shell scripts that call other stand-alone
programs. In the current release we provide a set of MRC programs,
which were slightly adapted to interact with the 2dx software, and we
added a few functions trying to implement automatic determination of
all required parameters. It is easy to adapt or replace the provided
scripts with your own scripts and/or to make use of other back-end
programs (Spider, bsoft, etc.) or your own MRC software.

2dx including the source codes is freely available, and we provide
compiled versions for Linux x86_64bit and Mac-PPC (G4 (slow), G5) and
the new Mac-Intel computers, see here:
http://2dx.org
The installer hopefully take care of everything (all goes into /usr/
local/2dx), and installs also the required modified MRC programs. The
only thing that is required in addition is CCP4, as described on the
server. But CCP4 is only used in the last script for the generation
of a map. The rest should also work without CCP4.
On the server are also some test data, in MRC-image2000 file format
for big and small endian machines, together with the corresponding
config files (2dx_image.cfg).

A manuscript that describes this software is under review at JSB, but
we don't have written the manual for 2dx yet. However, hopefully,
most features in 2dx are self-explanatory. Just try the right mouse
button over all the different items, or double-clicking.

Bryant, Xiangyan and Henning.

Henning Stahlberg,
Molecular & Cellular Biology, Briggs Hall 5,
University of California at Davis, 1 Shields Ave., Davis, CA 95616, USA
Tel: +1-530-752 8282 (office), +1-530-754 8285 (lab)     Fax:
+1-530-752 3085
mailto:HStahlberg at ucdavis.edu          http://stahlberglab.ucdavis.edu
AIM:HStahlberg at mac.com

Workshop on Electron Crystallography, August 7-11, 2006, at UC Davis.
http://2dx.org/workshop