Hepes buffer for cryoEM?

Oscar Llorca ollorca at cib.csic.es
Mon May 23 07:26:09 PDT 2005

Dear all

We are experiencing some problems to obtain good vitrification of  protein
samples purified in Hepes buffer (The ice contains some funny looking
"strings").
These problems seem to disappear when dialyzing the sample,
but our protein is not very happy in other standard buffers like PBS or Tris.

Does anyone know if there is a real problem in using Hepes buffer for
cryoEM, or might we just be having a different problem we still don´t know?

Thanks for the help
Oscar Llorca

Dr Oscar Llorca
Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas-CSIC
Centre for Biological Research

Ramiro de Maeztu, 9
28040 Madrid (Spain)

Group Web Site: http://electronmicroscopy.cib.csic.es