[Microscopy] RE: RE: Why FEG?

Philip Koeck Philip.Koeck at biosci.ki.se
Tue Apr 27 00:15:16 PDT 2004

Hi,

In biology we use the microscope quite differently than material
scientists generally do. We never work at Scherzer defocus and we try to
get as close as possible to the information limit by averaging and
CTF-correction based on the weak phase / weak amplitude object
approximation. I think that should get rid of delocalization. You can
look up the method for example at
http://ncmi.bcm.tmc.edu/~stevel/EMAN/doc/.

By resolution I don't mean point resolution. The resolution we aim at is
close to the information limit at the highest underfocus we used to take
the images. We can only achieve this resolution in the final average
(actually a 3D model) but not in an individual image.
For that sort of imaging the FEG does have advantages because the
information limit is better (but I'm not sure whether the advantages are
big enough to justify the higher price). Max Sidorow shows that nicely
at http://clik.to/ctfexplorer (click on "science behind it").

To clarify: We have to use high defocus because we need good contrast
transfer at very low spatial frequencies to be able to see the protein
molecules.

We use film and scan it with 7 micron pixels.