Postdoc Positions, Multi-Resolution Modeling at Scripps

Willy Wriggers wriggers at scripps.edu
Mon Jan 15 18:51:45 PST 2001

Postdoctoral Positions - Multi-Resolution Biomolecular Modeling

The Scripps Research Institute (La Jolla, California) and its
Computational Structural Biology Group in the Department of Molecular
Biology (http://www.scripps.edu/wriggers) are seeking highly qualified
Postdoctoral Research Associates to develop and apply new multi-
resolution modeling techniques for the determination of 3D structures
of proteins and macromolecular assemblies.

We are an innovative, dynamic team of young scientists and collaborate
with world leaders in Electron Microscopy. Highly qualified applicants
should hold a Ph.D. degree in physics, chemistry, computer science, or
a related quantitative discipline. Research experience in computational
biophysics, structural bioinformatics, image-processing, neural
networks, or visualization is an asset. We expect a strong programming
background, organizational skills, and the willingness to communicate
with our experimental collaborators.

The successful candidates may choose among the following research
topics:

- neural network-based shape characterization and query;
- shape-based docking of multi-resolution biomolecular data;
- flexible docking with force-field methods (molecular dynamics and
  normal mode analysis);
- spline-based warping (morphing) of 3D structural data;
- interactive visualization (computer graphics) of atomic and
  low-resolution data.

The developed algorithms will be applied in challenging collaborations
involving structures of virus capsids, RNA polymerase, cytoskeletal
filaments and the ribosome.

Initial appointments are for one year, but are extendable to the full
time frame of the projects (up to 5 years). Application review begins
immediately until the positions are filled. Ideally, candidates should
be able to start by April, 2001, although highly qualified candidates
who seek a later start date should not hesitate to apply. We offer a
competitive salary and benefits.

If you are interested in applying for a position, please email your CV,
a letter of application (research interests and publication list), and a
list of references (with name, email, and phone number) to me. There are
no citizenship restrictions. Qualified women and minority candidates are
encouraged to apply. TSRI is an Equal Opportunity employer.

Willy Wriggers
Assistant Professor
Department of Molecular Biology, TPC6
The Scripps Research Institute
10550 North Torrey Pines Road
La Jolla, California 92037
E-mail: wriggers at scripps.edu
Tel: (858)784-8823
Fax: (858)784-8688
with the words
unsubscribe 3dem
in the body of the message.
Do not send unsubscribe messages to the entire list