[3dem] Post-doctoral positions available in Cianfrocco laboratory at the University of Michigan

Michael Cianfrocco mcianfro at umich.edu
Mon May 8 12:42:59 PDT 2023

Dear structural biology community -

Multiple post-doctoral fellow positions are open in the Cianfrocco
laboratory at the University of Michigan (
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.lsi.umich.edu/science/our-labs/cianfrocco-lab__;!!Mih3wA!CBN81vhVin32vtaOjLEjPcJO_-hFDZD2ZHQ2jLQqTUTi3ouzlly4KmGlKnaOi_gKRBgrmPQ7tBumZC7wdCB3bw$ ). Both positions
offer huge opportunities for growth and provide cutting-edge
instrumentation and collaboration. Please reach out to Mike Cianfrocco if
you have questions (mcianfro at umich.edu).

Michael A. Cianfrocco, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Chemistry

Research Assistant Professor, Life Sciences Institute

University of Michigan

Pronouns: he, him, his

Methods development in cryo-EM

We have an NIH-funded post-doctoral fellow position to work as a part of
the Magellon cryo-EM automation project. This position will work within a
collaborative grant R01GM143805 with the labs of Gabe Lander (The Scripps
Research Institute) and Scott Stagg (Florida State University) to develop
the next generation of cryo-EM automation and software tools to enable
high-throughput cryo-EM. This position will work at the interface of
microscope automation, software development, and end-user experience to
streamline cryo-EM.

Relevant papers:

   1.

   Optimized path planning surpasses human efficiency in cryo-EM imaging.

Li Y*, Fan Q*, …, Cianfrocco MA#, Vos S#.

bioRxiv 2022.06.17.496614

   1.

   CryoRL: Reinforcement Learning Enables Efficient Cryo-EM Data Collection.

Fan Q*, Li Y*,..., Vos S#, Cianfrocco MA#.

arXiv arXiv:2204.07543 (2022).

Mechanisms of kinesin regulation

We have multiple NIH-funded post-doctoral fellow positions to determine how
kinesin motor proteins are regulated via inhibitory mechanisms and
activated by cargo and cargo adapters (R01GM141119). We are building on two
publications that mapped out how kinesin motor proteins are inhibited in
trans by kinesin-binding protein and cis via autoinhibition. The
state-of-the-art cryo-EM facility and collaborative research environment
will allow post-doctoral fellows to open new doors to regulating cargo
trafficking.

Relevant papers:

   1.

   Kinesin-binding protein remodels the kinesin motor to prevent
   microtubule binding.

Solon AL*, Tan Z*,…, Ohi R#, Cianfrocco MA#.

Science Advances 2021 Nov 19;7(47):eabj9812.

   1.

   Autoinhibited kinesin-1 adopts a hierarchical folding pattern.

Tan Z, …, Cianfrocco MA#.

eLife 2023 12:RP86776

*Cryo-EM at the University of Michigan *

The University of Michigan offers state-of-the-art instrumentation and a
collaborative training environment for post-doctoral fellows. The
Cianfrocco lab has routine access to all cryo-EM instruments on campus (and
in our building!): Titan Krios (x2), Talos Arctica, and Glacios. We also
have access to an SPT Labtech Chameleon, TFS Aquilos 2, Leica Stellaris
cryo-confocal, and two negative stain screening instruments. In addition to
instrumentation, the Cianfrocco laboratory has access to high-performance
computing and storage at the Life Sciences Institute and through the
COSMIC2 science gateway (managed by the lab for the community).

Post-doctoral fellows will also have access to world-class educational
resources, which include an annual cryo-EM data processing workshop (
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.lsi.umich.edu/science/centers-technologies/cryo-electron-microscopy/education/michigan-cryo-em-workshops__;!!Mih3wA!CBN81vhVin32vtaOjLEjPcJO_-hFDZD2ZHQ2jLQqTUTi3ouzlly4KmGlKnaOi_gKRBgrmPQ7tBumZC4NTjNnhw$ )
and working with the lab to develop the cryoEDU educational platform (
cryoedu.org).

*University of Michigan Microtubule & Motor Protein Community*

Beyond structural biology, the University of Michigan offers a close-knit
microtubule and motor protein community that ranges from molecular
simulations to biochemistry and structural biology to cell biology with the
labs of Morgan DeSantis, Ryoma Ohi, David Sept, and Kristen Verhey. We have
weekly group meetings and regular social gatherings. Select collaborative
works from our microtubule group include:

[Verhey & Cianfrocco labs]

Autoinhibited kinesin-1 adopts a hierarchical folding pattern. eLife 2023

Molecular determinants for α-tubulin methylation by SETD2. J Biol Chem. 2021

A kinesin-1 variant reveals motor-induced microtubule damage in cells. Curr
Biol. 2022

[Ohi, Sept, Cianfrocco labs]

Kinesin-binding protein remodels the kinesin motor to prevent microtubule
binding. Sci Adv. 2021

[Ohi, Sept, Cianfrocco, Verhey labs]

Parthenolide Destabilizes Microtubules by Covalently Modifying Tubulin.
Curr Biol. 2021

[Ohi & Verhey labs]

Mechanistic Analysis of CCP1 in Generating ΔC2 α-Tubulin in Mammalian Cells
and Photoreceptor Neurons. Biomolecules. 2023

EML2-S constitutes a new class of proteins that recognizes and regulates
the dynamics of tyrosinated microtubules. Curr Biol. 2022

[Sept & Verhey labs]

Neck linker docking is critical for Kinesin-1 force generation in cells but
at a cost to motor speed and processivity. Elife. 2019