[3dem] glow discharge question

Thorsten Mielke mielke at molgen.mpg.de
Thu Jan 12 03:11:29 PST 2023

Hi,

maybe a very simple solution: Place a pleated filter paper next to the
grids, add 50 µl Amylamine and pump and glow-discharge as usual ... you
should notice a change in the color of the plasma.

Cheers,

Thorsten

On 12.01.2023 12:04, Farzad wrote:
> Dear David,
>
> Let me share my experience with semiconductor gas systems.
>
> For supplying the gas from a liquid source like amylamine in a vacuum
> system like Pelco easiGlow, you need a "precursor gas generator".
> Despite its fancy name, it can be a very simple setup. In fact, this
> setup is very common in various systems like Chemical Vapor Deposition
> (CVD) and maybe you have already seen it in the environmental scanning
> electron microscopes (for water vapor supply or some liquid precursors
> for EBID, etc). In this set up you keep the liquid in a closed
> vessel like a glass balloon, and you keep the temperature around it
> fixed. The temperature determines the partial pressure of the gas
> which is necessary for the repeatability of the process. Normally,
> people put the balloon in a laboratory balloon heater or an ice bath,
> depending on the boiling point of the precursor and the
> desired partial pressure. The selection of the temperature is up to
> you. If your lab environment is stable enough and your gas consumption
> is also low enough, you can do it at room temperature without any
> additional device. In this case, you just need to have a big enough
> balloon and leave it to equilibrate.
>
> Also, for more repeatability, you are advised to keep the pressure
> over the liquid vessel (the balloon) at a constant level. The reason
> is that for non-ideal gasses the partial pressure is slightly
> dependent on the system's pressure. For achieving that level of
> stability, you can set up a carrier gas inlet to the balloon like a
> bobbler. The carrier gas can be nitrogen, argon, or even air (just
> leave an open inlet to the bobbler. You can also keep balloons under a
> vacuum condition which is also another strategy for keeping the
> pressure constant! In this case, the setup is similar except the
> carrier gas pipe is not submerged in the liquid and it is connected to
> a vacuum pump.
>
> *Caution 1: There is a safety consideration for heating the vessel
> to near boiling point or working at high carrier gas pressure. If you
> want to have high partial pressure and hence you decide to heat the
> precursor to near its boiling temperature you need to consider a
> safety release valve and a reliable suction hood OR a higher pressure
> chamber. It is worthy of note that since evaporation needs time and
> energy, heating is always preferred for a more uniform gas
> composition. Glass balloons are not made to maintain very high pressures.*
> *
> *
> *Caution 2: Should you need to inject multiple gasses you need to
> install mass flow controllers at the inlets after the bobblers. This
> guarantees a constant gas composition.*
> *
> *
> Hope these details help you make your bobbler (precursor gas generator).
>
> Cheers,

> [...]

Dr. Thorsten Mielke
- Head Microscopy & Cryo Electron Microscopy Service Group -

Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics
Ihnestr. 63-73
D-14195 Berlin

Tel.: +49-(0)30 8413-1644
Fax: +49-(0)30 8413-1385