[3dem] cryo TEM holder for autogrids and ThermoFisher/FEI

Garry P Morgan Garry.Morgan at Colorado.EDU
Mon Jun 14 10:31:20 PDT 2021

Tobias,
we’ve been using the UH tilt Elsa holder over the last year…
pro’s:
-we get ~10-11 hours of stable imaging time for overnight acquisition
-it’s much more stable than our 626 holders

con’s:
-we see a higher occcurrence of crystalline/non-vitreous ice; i believe this is at least partly due to the thin tip on the UH tilt version of the holder
-more column vacuum crashes when inserting into our G2 series Tecnai TEMs; i’m pretty sure is due to the excessive weight of the holder and large dewar, especially when it’s on the full side with LN2.  i’ve actually come up with some tweaks to inserting the holder that have resulted in dramatically reducing the number of vacuum crashes…since this is a bit off-topic from the autogrid question, i won’t get into the details, but anyone interested in having fewer vacuum crashes please contact me.

i’m curious to know more about the Model 200 holder after your 2 week trial, as we’ll be looking into this as well in the very near future…i saw the response from Syzmon last week, but curious to know more:
-were you happy with the transfer station? is it comparable to the 626 station?
-is the process of loading auto-grids into this holder pretty straight forward and simple?
-how long does the LN2 last?
-how does the stability compare to a 626 holder?

cheers,
Garry

Garry Morgan
Director  —  Boulder EM Services —  Department of MCD Biology
Campus Box 347  —  University of Colorado  —  Boulder, CO 80309
phone:  303-492-8402