[3dem] K3 vs Falcon 4

yaser hashem yaser.hashem at u-bordeaux.fr
Thu Jan 21 00:40:27 PST 2021

Dear colleagues,

At the Institut Européen de Chimie et Biologie (IECB) cryo-EM facility, we are looking to purchase either a Falcon 4 or a K3 DDD, in combination with and energy filter, on a Talos Arctica 200kV (that is already installed) or a Galcios 200kV (that will be purchased additionally), we were wondering whether anyone could provide some insight on the performance comparison between both devices in terms of speed and DQE. The device will be used for cryo-EM applications, SP and tomography, over a variety of molecular complexes ranging from several hundred kDa to several MDa, such as bacterial secretion systems, ribosomes and various membrane proteins complexes…
Both DDDs’ performances appear amazing, but would there be any other arguments to consider such as frequent bugs, robustness, installation requirements, etc…?

Thank you!

Best

Yaser

-------------------

yaser hashem (DR2)
Ph.D.
Group Leader

Inserm
Université de Bordeaux

Institut Européen de Chimie et Biologie, U1212
phone: +33 (0) 5 40 00 88 22
2 Rue Robert Escarpit
33600 Pessac
France