[3dem] Simons Machine Learning Center announcement and job call

Alex Noble anoble at nysbc.org
Wed Jan 6 11:31:11 PST 2021

Dear all,

We are pleased to announce the establishment of the Simons Machine Learning Center (SMLC) at the New York Structural Biology Center. SMLC is a machine learning research group dedicated to advancing all aspects of structural biology. Within cryo-EM, we are continuing to develop algorithms for micrograph and tomogram analysis and are expanding our efforts to automating and optimizing cryo-EM and cryo-ET data collection with machine learning.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://smlc.nysbc.org__;!!Mih3wA!Q38INFdXph2NJ9CnkgLUOEn_ZLRczWDoJJHoF0MpMkqHznYBdiDvMtu0shdtr9I29A$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://smlc.nysbc.org/__;!!Mih3wA!Q38INFdXph2NJ9CnkgLUOEn_ZLRczWDoJJHoF0MpMkqHznYBdiDvMtu0shfMpS21-Q$ >

SMLC is accepting applications for Postdoc and Research Scientist positions. Scientists with strong quantitative backgrounds who are interested in machine learning and structural biology are encouraged to apply. Relevant experience in machine learning, computer vision, natural language processing, computational biology (esp. relating to structural biology), cryo-EM/ET, or other related disciplines is a plus. Successful candidates will be highly motivated, independent scientists with significant programming experience and preferably with some cryo-EM or structural biology experience. Internships are available for graduate and undergraduate students.

SMLC is funded through the Simons Foundation and is housed within the Simons Electron Microscopy Center (SEMC), a premier local, national, and international cryo-EM research facility located in Manhattan. SEMC is equipped with 7 Titan Krioses, 1 Glacios, 1 Aquilos2 cryo-FIB/SEM, 1 Helios cryo-FIB/SEM, a Zeiss Airyscan2, a PRIMO grid micropatterning system, several screening microscopes, Spotiton and Chameleon grid plunging robots, and substantial computing resources. Recent publications by the SMLC team exemplify the success of ML in cryo-EM:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://smlc.nysbc.org/publications/__;!!Mih3wA!Q38INFdXph2NJ9CnkgLUOEn_ZLRczWDoJJHoF0MpMkqHznYBdiDvMtu0sheaEe-y4A$

If interested, please contact Tristan Bepler directly: tbepler at nysbc.org. Research Scientist and Postdoc candidates should provide their CV, a brief letter of motivation, and contact details of three references. Please see the attached job posting for further details. Applications will remain open until positions are filled.

We look forward to you joining our team,

Tristan Bepler, Group Leader, Simons Machine Learning Center

Alex Noble, Group Leader, SEMC

Bridget Carragher, SEMC Co-director

Clint Potter, SEMC Co-director